Trump was “an hour away from resuming attacks” on Iran before he called off the offensive


Wednesday, May 20th 2026

US President Donald Trump has stated that he would have resumed attacks on Iran within an hour if he had not postponed them earlier in the week at the request of regional allies, as Tehran revealed details of a new proposal to end the war launched by the US and Israel in February, reports Anadolu.

“They knew we were very close. I would say I was an hour away from making the decision to action today,” Trump told reporters at the White House.

He said the U.S. could deliver “one more big blow” to Iran if the parties don’t reach a permanent deal in the next few days.

“They’re begging for a deal. I hope we don’t have to go to war, but we might have to give them another big blow. I’m saying, maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday, something like that. “Perhaps early next week, for a limited period, because we cannot allow them to have a new nuclear weapon,” Trump said.

Earlier, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi revealed details of Tehran’s latest proposal submitted to the US during a meeting with the Parliamentary Committee on National Security and Foreign Policy. The U.S. has yet to respond.

According to Iran’s state agency IRNA, Gharibabadi said the proposal emphasizes “Iran’s right to uranium enrichment and peaceful nuclear activities.”

The proposal includes “an end to conflicts on all fronts, including Lebanon, the lifting of the U.S. naval blockade, the release of Iranian assets, as well as compensation by the U.S. for damage caused during the last war to support the efforts of reconstruction”.

Gharibabadi said the proposal also calls for “the lifting of all unilateral sanctions and UN Security Council resolutions, as well as the withdrawal of US forces from areas surrounding the Islamic Republic”.

On May 10, Iran submitted its response to a US proposal through Pakistani mediators. But Trump later described Tehran’s offer as “totally unacceptable”. Yesterday, Iranian media reported that Tehran has subsequently presented a revised 14-point proposal through the same channel.

On Saturday, Trump threatened new military escalation against Iran, posting on Truth Social an image of US-flagged warships, including one carrying the Iranian flag, accompanied by the phrase: “It was the calm before the storm.”

Yesterday, Trump said he had postponed an attack on planned for today against Iran at the request of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

He added that he has instructed the Defense Department “to be ready to proceed with a full-scale, full-scale attack on Iran at any time, if an acceptable agreement is not reached”.

After negotiations brokered by Pakistan stalled, the US on April 13 imposed a blockade on Iranian ports, including those along the Strait. Hormuz.

Iran then retaliated by closing the maritime corridor and requiring ships to coordinate passage with Tehran, amid fears the fragile ceasefire could collapse if no deal is reached.


Source: prizrenpost

Etiketa:
Latest