Wednesday, May 20th 2026
![]()
Italy has requested an urgent clarification from Israel after reports that the Israeli naval forces used force against ships included in the Sumud Global Flotilla, which was trying to reach the Gaza Strip, reports Anadolu.
According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, 27 Italian citizens aboard the flotilla have been detained after Israeli forces intercepted the ship. Officials said the ships are expected to be sent to the port of Ashdod.
Foreign Affairs Minister Antonio Tajani asked Israel to urgently verify reports by activists that rubber bullets or other projectiles were used against the flotilla’s ships.
He called for “an urgent verification of the use of force” after conflicting reports on the incident.
The flotilla, known as the Sumud Global Flotilla, includes international activists who are trying to reach Gaza by sea.
The ANSA agency reported that Italian spokeswoman Maria Elena Delia said that Israeli navy ships have fired at or hit several ships, including one sailing under the Italian flag.
“The Israeli navy ships are firing shells, the type of which we do not know. We do not know if they are real or from rubber,” said Delia in a video statement.
She added that six ships were hit, including the Girolama ship, which she said was flying the Italian flag. Delia described the situation as “extremely serious”, even if non-lethal munitions were used.
An Israeli spokesman told ANSA that non-lethal measures were used after the ships had been given repeated warnings. He added that no shots were fired directly at the protesters and no injuries were reported.
“At no time were shots fired. After repeated warnings, non-lethal means were used against the ship and not against the protesters, but as a warning,” the statement said.
Source: prizrenpost
Etiketa: Brief

