Friday, May 22nd 2026
![]()
One of the suspects in the deadly attack on the Islamic Center of San Diego in California was identified by police more than a year ago for “admiring Nazis and perpetrators of mass shootings,” according to a news release Friday, Anadolu reports.
The New York Times, citing court documents, reported that police in Chula Vista, California, had secured a court order in January 2025 to confiscate weapons from home of 18-year-old Caleb Vazquez after being alarmed by his behavior.
“The child was involved in questionable behavior by idolizing Nazis and mass shootings,” a police officer wrote in the protective order, the US newspaper said.
Vazquez and 17-year-old Cain Clark attacked the mosque on Monday, killing three people before dying of self-inflicted wounds, according to police and The report said Vazquez had previously been placed on an involuntary psychiatric hold and had been under the watch of law enforcement authorities long before the attack.
The FBI had also been notified of concerns about one of the teenagers and had an open investigation into its threat monitoring system, according to internal communications cited by the New York Times.
Police said both suspects were known online and shared racist and extremist views targeting various racial and religious groups.
After the attack, investigators reportedly found a document written by the teenagers, which described extremist beliefs and a vision of a racially and religiously limited society.
The attack targeted San Diego’s largest mosque and is being investigated as a hate crime.
Source: prizrenpost
Etiketa: Brief
